Monday, September 2, 2013

Vitex is it right for you?

So I decided to write my own review on using Vitex in order to try and regulate your cycles and become pregnant.  I have to say that when I was considering using this product I had such an incredibly hard time finding recent reviews or information on it so here we go:

So just a warning this review is going to be very long and detailed but I feel it will help people make the decision on if this product is right for them.
I started taking Vitex exactly 11 weeks ago. The reason I began Vitex is my husband and I have been trying to conceive. After almost a year of trying I decided to start charting my cycles because even though we were using home ovulation predictor kits we still were not getting pregnant. I normally get my period every 31 days*pretty much exactly* except when I was coming off the pill it was 28 days the first two months. Well After beginning the charting I discovered I had what looked like anvoluntary cycles(my temps where everywhere!) even though I was getting the rise in hormones to show on the predictor kits I wasn't actually ovulating. So after doing some research Vitex seemed like a good way to try and get my progesterone levels to rise high enough to get me to ovulate and hopefully balance out some other hormone issues.
But I can say it didn't work quite like I was expecting it to. The first two weeks I took 1 400mg pill 2x a day(once in the morning and once at night) I then after two weeks went ahead and uped it to 3x a day morning, afternoon and evening. The first month I took it I actually ovulated! BUT super late! If any of you are familiar with charting your cycles you know that you can confirm ovulation from the temps well my temps were still kinda all over the place just like they are with the anovulatory cycles till suddenly boom I ovulated but I didn't actually ovulate until cycle day 35, well along with ovulating so late I had so many pregnancy symptoms! My boobs hurt so bad, I started lactating(yes actually lactating and I have never had a child or been pregnant before) and got a super sensitive sense of smell. All this made me believe I had in fact become pregnant. Well then when I finally did get my period 10 days late (on day 41 this gave me a 5 day Luteal phase) I was crushed. I had thought the vitex would have me ovulate earlier, but instead it had me ovulate just too late in my cylce for it to do any good. So I continued taking it. Well this past month I ovulated for a second time this time on cycle day 31 with only a 3 day luteal phase. No lactation this time I did however get the sensitive boobs but I knew what to look for. BUT this time my temps where actually steady and not all over the place. So I did in fact ovulate a little early but with a shorter luteal phase and still too late in the cycle. So I have to say I like it because I am actually ovulating now. But I do have to say that it has not helped with the periods. I normally bleed 10-12 days. Well since starting vitex each period has lasted 10 days but I ended up on both periods getting severe cramping and huge clots....But i am thinking part of this may end up being the fact that I actually ovulated so am legitimately shedding the uterus lining.

Side effects: I really am not sure how to answer this. I can't say there is anything in particular I can point a finger to. For a long time now(before taking vitex) I have been getting dizzy spells so since taking vitex they have become more frequent. So I went to my general dr and had some labs drawn and it looks like I have hypothyroidism. So I am not sure if the vitex is what kicked that into a little bit worse or if my thyroid has said enough is enough get treatment now.
I am still waiting for my visit with the endocrinologist to get this under control and then plan on continuing vitex if allowed by the dr. Until then one pill a day will continue.

I will post a more updated account on taking this product in a few months and see if my cycles become even more regulated. But to summarize Vitex did help me to actually ovulate, just so far Not quite where I need to be :-) But like any medication or vitamins if unsure talk to your DR. First.  Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment