Sunday, November 9, 2014

Nightmare at the ER

I woke up at 6 am to take my progesterone only to discover heavy bleeding with some clots.  So my husband and I rushed to the ER.

What a HORRIBLE experience. 
So here is how things went down the Dr came in talked with me about what the problem was I told her...but as soon as I said fertility treatments to get pregnant she freaked out: Well this could be ectopic and if it is I wouldn't know what to do because I don't deal with this stuff...blah blah blah(yes this is the er dr) 
So then they come in to get labs...they are calling me by the wrong name..So then we have to wait for them to redo all our paperwork/bloodwork ect;   We were the only ones in the er when I got there how could you make that mistake(they had my middle name as my name)
So they give me an iv to pump up my bladder so I can do a ultrasound and a urine analysis.  Well I get down to the ultrasound tech and ask her what she sees: I'm not allowed to say anything.  You can't tell me anything?  Well there is a flutter so the heart is beating.  Okay can you tell me how fast its beating? I haven't gotten that far.  Then silence for about 15 min.  I start to tear up.....I'm so nervous she isn't telling me anything.  So then she tells me the heartbeat is 162 bpm fetus is measuring 7 weeks 4 days.  But she can't tell me anything else.
So then I get back to my room the Dr comes in and wants to do a vaginal exam she tells me to lay back she puts a bedpan under my let then proceeds to clamp the speculum DIRECTLY onto my cervix and says I can't find your cervix.  I cried out in pain as she pinched me again!...yes it hurt so bad!  So then she says okay lets scoot the bedpan back see if that works better.  I said.  How about you have me scoot to the edge of the bed and try it that way instead.   She said okay yeah lets try that.  Really?!!  So it worked she saw bleeding and some tissue well no duh when she pinched my cervix I had stopped bleeding their was blood on the speculum when she pulled it back out she literally had to have done something in there. 
So then after that she says okay I'll be back in just a few minutes I'm going to go look at your ultrasounds.  An hour and a half later(at least) she finally walks back in.  Says everything is closed in my uterus, my cervix is closed.  She doesn't know what the bleeding is from. 
So I got a script for the uti went to cvs was talking to my Mom on the phone and the pharmacist heard our conversation I hang up go to get my meds he says your not pregnant are you?  Yes I am.  You can't take this medication while pregnant.  What do you mean I was just in the hospital they gave this to me while I was there.  Oh well let me look it up....Okay yeah you can take it only when your 38-42 weeks you can't take it cause it effects fetus'.  What do you mean?  I have a fetus!  So I decided to call my midwife on call and tell them everything and while I  was waiting for her to call me back I read through the ultrasound report and I read the report(I made them print me all the reports so I can fax them to my midwife in PA)  it says I have a subchorionic hemorrhage....well um that would cause bleeding.  Why did the Dr not say that!!!   It's small thankfully 1.9x1.4 cm against the gestational sac.    So the midwife called back and said they are pretty common.  She wasn't going to lie If they get too big they can cause misscarriages but since mine is so small and my bleeding has already stopped I shouldn't be concerned.  I'll go back in to them next week and have another ultrasound done in order to see if it grew and go forward from there. Also the UTI medication is safe...but, apparently and I didn't know this I was supposed to use some kind of alcoholic wipe to wipe before I peed into the cup and I didn't they just handed me a pack said here pee in this so I opened it and peed...I'm wondering if I don't really have a uti...either way I'm going to take the medication because it is safe for the fetus and says it can be used to prevent uti's also.  

So after 6 hours with the ER dr and nurses a 15 minute conversation with the midwife gave me more info than I thought possible

No comments:

Post a Comment